Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Way to cash in, McDee's...

Wow. I thought I had seen it all in terms of corporations riding the Wave of Whatever to appeal to more dimwitted folks. But this takes the cake. It is supposedly Asian Pacific American Heritage Month, and McDonald's secured the webpage "I Am Asian (dot com)". Consider that I have not even heard of this obscure nod to the people who make up a vast majority of the minorities, and you will understand my puzzlement at McDonald's taking up the banner to promote it. But perhaps, I thought, McD's is really trying to do something to honor the Asian people. Perhaps they *aren't* just trying to paste the artwork on their site to sell you more food that is really bad for you. Perhaps they are really sincere this time.

Guess what food they are marketing on the I-am-Asian url? I know what you're thinking: It has to be their Premium Asian Chicken Salad. Guess again. The item being featured in the promo slot on the page the use honor Asian Americans is (drum roll, please): the Southern Style Chicken Sandwich. Sigh. So much for all those "perhaps" statements. Guess I will have to continue going to Chang's Dynasty drive thru for my hamburgers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the sweet and sour Mandarin fries. Mmmm mmmm MMMM!

David said...

...and a big coca-corra!

David said...
This comment has been removed by the author.