Saturday, May 24, 2008

Oh, the irony...

Today marks what would have been my 16th wedding anniversary. Instead of celebrating it, I am (sometimes not-so-) patiently awaiting the completion of the divorce paperwork. Everything is filed; there is a six month waiting period before it becomes legal and complete and all that. It feels kinda weird. We were together for seventeen years when we realized it might be over, and we have been living separately for over a year now. But it was a pleasant enough break up--the kids are better off (I am convinced), she has a live-in boyfriend, and I have met someone I am very interested in. As I am fond of saying, it wasn't one of those splits where you come home from work one day and all your stuff is on the sidewalk and the locks have been changed.

The irony hit me because I am doing a play today about the detainment facility at Guantanemo Bay. I called the ex to tell her it was fitting--her long, wrongful incarceration was finally over--but she didn't pick up. I doubt she reads this blog, but I hope she wasn't offended. Just found it ironic.

Gotta run--had just enough time between shows to run home and feed the boys. Going back up to do another one tonight.

2 comments:

Erica said...

That *would* be rough. I know there are good reasons for having a waiting period (in Sicily, it's 3 years!), but those 6 months of waiting for the final shoe to drop would be hard. Hang in there!

David said...

THREE YEARS?!? Wow. Is that a Family thing? ;o)