Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day observed...

I am not a big fan of how we blow off the reason for our "celebrations" in this country, and Memorial Day seems to be one of the worst. Instead of adopting a soldier, voicing my opinion about the current state of military involvement and/or government, or just plain sidestepping it all to barbeque and drink, I try to spend some time remembering the fallen.

Today, I sat down and read several chapters from Letters from the Front, a book of correspondence from soldiers to their homes, peers, and commanders from the Revolutionary War to present. Having worn the uniform for a bit, I feel a thin connection to them, and feel as grateful for my life as I am respectful of their sacrifice.

Clip of the week:



Please take some time to pay your respects.

1 comment:

Erica said...

We live very close to the big military cemetery in San Bruno. Last year, we took the Things there on Memorial Day. It was quite the site w/all the little flags the Boy Scouts put out.

The part of it that was hard for me was seeing that there must have been a hospital fire or a hospital that got bombed or something b/c there were a whole bunch of newborns who had all died the same week in 1967. Very strange.

Yesterday, we had a big barbecue, but we did pull together as a family in the morning and thank God for all the soldiers, nurses, docs, etc. who died for our freedom.