Friday, May 23, 2008

Next gig up...

...and I haven't even finished this one.

For those of you who don't know, I am currently in the Mountain Play's production of The Wizard of Oz. I am the Tin Woodman. It opened last weekend, and has been a fun journey. If you are in the Northern California area and would like to come see it, it is a blast. The venue is a 3,750 seat outdoor amphitheater on the top of Mount Tamalpais. People arrive early (there were about 50 people there on opening day when I showed up for my call at 8:30am), bring their lunch, and make a day of it. If you decide to come, let me know and I'll reserve you some seats--it is first-come-first-served on where you get to sit. The only down side is that most of the seats are in direct sunlight for a good portion of the day, so check out the website for survival tips.

Also, this weekend I am in a staged reading in Santa Rosa. The show is Guantanemo, and it is about the craziness that is the Detainment Facility. It is based on actual letters and transcribed statements from prisoners and their families, politicians, activists, and reporters, and generally puts a good overall view of the entire mess out there for you to judge for yourself. It is quite the thought provoking piece. The shows are Saturday matinee and evening, and Sunday evening this weekend.

Now that you are caught up to yesterday and this weekend, let me tell you what happened today.

I was offered a part in Taming of the Shrew way back in February. They had already pre-cast the leads, so the part I was offered was a supporting role. A solid, wonderful supporting role, but supporting nonetheless. I love working with this theater company, not to mention that it was going to be a stellar cast, so I was really looking forward to it. I was supposed to get the script back in April, and we were going to do some table work in June and start rehearsals in July for an August launch.

I also went to the general auditions for another theater company about a month ago. (For those of you who don't know, generals are an audition for the entire season, and all the directors show up--a little intimidating, but you only have to do it once instead of several times.) The first show on their plate: The Music Man. I have always wanted to do the lead role in that show, so I put it down on the "I'm interested" list without knowing when it was being held. You guessed it: at exactly the same time as Shrew.

It was pointed out to me after the generals, but I was so convinced they were going to offer it to another particular actor that even after I went to the callback I was sure I didn't have a chance. No big deal. It was all about doing the process--audition, callback, move on, nothing to see here. Then they called today and (you guessed it again) offered me the lead. I was elated, and dejected at the same time. I went and signed the contract, and immediately called the Shrew folks to respectfully and apologetically withdraw. I hated it--they really are wonderful folks, but this is a rare opportunity, and something I have wanted to do for a long time, and a lead role. Hopefully they will understand and I won't be blackballed from working there ever again for being such a douche.

That said, however, I AM VERY EXCITED to be playing the part of Harold Hill in The Music Man. I will keep you posted on dates and times as it draws nearer (opens in mid-August and runs through mid-September).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are not a douche. You could never be a douche. This is show *business*. Switching gears for a dream role, especially when you've given ample time for a contract to be delivered, is the nature of our business. You are a true talent in this arena and recognized as such. Anyone who is in show business and doesn't understand your reasonable decision can tell their story walkin'. Lastly, you are loved by too many in this town to be blacklisted. If they attempt to blacklist you, then they are not worth your time and talent anyway. A heart is not judged by how much you love, but how much you are loved by others, dear Tin Man. :)

Now go get 'em in your leading role! Congratulations!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see you as Harold Hill! Tough call with Shrew, but you did what you needed to do for you. I am super super excited for you! Now pass some of that luck my way, plzkthx. :P

David said...

Thanks, both. The encouragement is well received. And I'm sending you happy theater work thoughts right now, MCD...