Thursday, June 5, 2008

Defending the caveblog...

Well, I didn't really think anyone was reading this thing, but apparently you are out there--ya lurkers! ;o) I am grateful for the readership, and especially for those comments you folks (you know who you are) have posted. It's not why I write--that's a discussion for another time--but it is encouraging, nonetheless.

I want to reiterate some things I posted here about how this thing works (for me, at least). I am an open guy. When someone asks me "how are you?" I always answer truthfully. Most people are not prepared for that--it seems "hru" has become synonymous with "hi". Want to say hello? Say it. Want to know how I'm doing? Ask. But be prepared for a real answer. ;o)

Along those lines, I don't like when people play games, and I don't like to play them myself. I try to be truthful always. This also gets me into trouble--I have been told at work that I was "too honest" when I took credit for a mistake that I had made. I have lost friends because I don't like to withold stuff that I feel is important. And sometimes, people have taken things personally that maybe they shouldn't have.

This is made all the more relevant because, as we all know, the electonic medium is very susceptible to subjectivity. It is easy to take things personally here, to filter them through our own experiences and feelings. Not always correct, mind you--there have been plenty of times I have said to myself, 'wait--what?!?' and taken something personally. And been horribly wrong.

I guess I am just wanting to reassure you all, dear readers, that if I have something to say, I will say it. If I don't say it, you may be hurting yourself (and by extension our relationship) by assuming the worst. If it is really personal and should be handled privately, I will not put it here. Angry at me? Hurt? Please send me an e-mail (or call, if you have that information). If you know me well enough, you will know that I do not ever--EVER--hurt someone intentionally. I want to iron it out with you if I step on your toes or accidentally prick your heart. If you are so upset by something I wrote, and you are correct in your interpretation, I will be happy to take the post down and obliterate it from the ether.

Be well, be happy, breathe deep.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a very interesting disucussion with another friend yesterday surrounding some of these issues related both to your blog (and the particular post that you and I talked about) and future content in mine. It is, of course, a bigger topic than I could comment on here, but my friend and I agreed on one point: blogs really do serve as forums for viewpoints and personal experience, and people better be ready to debate. That said, I appreciate the personal nature of your blog, your truthfulness, and the fairness of this post!

Anonymous said...

Hmm, this is the second such post you've had to make in a short period of time. Reading one's blog is a contract of sorts. You agree to say what you want/need; I read it, and in doing so, either agree or disagree, or just have a good laugh. You make the choice to write, I make the choice to read. It seems it would be understood that this is your blog and therefore, you will write *your* thoughts, *your* opinions. Your honesty, tact, and truthiness (Colbert would be proud) carries through in your words So, if one reads your blog and doesn't understand that contract, well, no one said they had to sign it.

Anonymous said...

I say if they can't take it f'em

David said...

Thanks for your support, everyone. Funny to see the difference between the theater folk and non-theater folk. Or is it a male-female thing? Who knows. But I thank you all the same.