Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Ummm--WHAT?!? I...uh...

I spoke with my mom yesterday. I was trying to arrange a time when she could give me a ride from home to work so I could get the truck back to my local shop, and she said, 'your father and I would like to talk to you about the truck.' Now, I am an adult and have been out of their house for a long time, but that phrase still made me edgy. I'm thinking to myself, 'geez, I've been working like a Roman orchard slave on that thing, and they're going to criticize how I take care of it?'

So I carefully (and disguised my reflexive defensiveness)(ew, is that even a phrase?) answered 'what exactly do you want to talk about?' She mentioned that they were concerned that I was driving this thing around, it was an old truck, they wanted me to be safe, they didn't think I should dump any more money into it, etc. I have little in the way of finances--they know this. So I said (again, measuredly), 'what are you saying? are you talking about a new vehicle?'

Yes. They want to talk to me about getting something else. I go over there tonight to have dinner, and put Thing 1 and Thing 2 in the back/play room, and they basically give me a budget and tell me they are moving money around to help me out. I was stunned. My parents have been there for me in times of need, but they are not hand-out parents. We talked about possible makes & models (I had been researching a while ago just for kicks) and they basically said, 'get what you need. we aren't going to support something ridiculous.' I reminded them of what I have been driving for ten years, and they smiled and seemed to take comfort from it.

I still can't find the words. I am so grateful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The love your parents have for you, and you for them, as well as their quiet reassurance and support of you, inspires and warms my heart.

David said...

Yeah, we're a pretty wonderful little trio. :o) I didn't realize it when I was little, but boy am I grateful now.