Saturday, June 28, 2008

The house is already lukewarm, but nonetheless...

Tonight I am throwing a party at my "new" house. Evite made me pick a category, and the closest was "housewarming", but it is also a celebration of theater (the end of a fun run of The Wizard of Oz, and what will hopefully be a fun run of The Music Man), a welcome-to-the-family for my new(ish) dog, and a chance to get together with old friends. I have invited people from all walks of my life: former Starbucks folks from my time with that company, and my boss from the place I work at now; theater folks from Sonoma and Marin counties; old friends and family. In all, the evite list totalled in the nineties--I know some of those people will not show, it is more an excuse to get back in touch with them. But of that massive list, I already have over 30 positives. It should be an eclectic collection of people. That can either work really well (if they are networkers) or not so well (if they are not). For my fortieth birthday party, I threw a shindig at Ives park and cooked on the barbecue. A bunch of theater folk came to that, as well as some Starbucks folk, but they did not blend well--like oil and water, in fact. One group over here, one group over there, like an eighth grade dance. I am hoping against hope that this time they will actually mix together and it will be a fun event.

I have been busy all day preparing for this gathering, and folks will start arriving soon. Had to clean the place inside and out (not easy when you're just one guy in a 3BR home), and get "stuff" ready: food, drinks, set up conversation nooks and a bar, etc. Also bought a new little device I am eager to try out: it's a little mixer that makes everything from "blended" drinks to ice cream. It is not, however a blender--it has this huge frozen bucket-like part that you freeze, and then pour everything into it. It is so cold it freezes the stuff inside. Less mess, more variety...why not? And, the best part: it was on sale. (Look how much money I saved us, honey!)

Party starts at 6:00pm and goes until everyone leaves or we get shut down. Come by!

No comments: