Thursday, April 2, 2009

On the cusp...

Tonight is the one and only preview of the show I am currently in. The description reads:

The Blue Room

Written by David Hare

Directed by David Lear

A sensation in London and on Broadway, The Blue Room depicts a daisy chain of ten sexual encounters between five women and five men all portrayed by one actor and one actress. Each couple is seen working their way up to having sex. It is following a blackout that the hypocrisy, the folly and loneliness become apparent. Hare, freely adapting the original play, LaRonde by Arthur Schnitzler, has moved the action from turn of the century Vienna to modern London and infused the sketches with witty and provocative modern nuances.

All my professional life, from working as a paper boy to being in the army, from working in an office to performing on a stage, I have tried to put my best into what I do. There is nothing more frustrating, I believe, than wanting to do something well, and not being able to because of some external circumstance. When I was managing a Starbucks store, I also tried to convey to my staff that I wanted them to have everything they needed to succeed.

This production has been, unfortunately, plagued with behind-the-scenes drama. Not from the creative team, so much--my director is someone I deeply respect and admire, and my co-star is my girlfriend, who I also deeply respect and admire. But the production has no costumer, a very pared-down production budget, and has had a myriad of other challenges along the way. It has been distracting, and difficult, to continue "on with the show" in the face of some of it. But nevertheless, I am tackling the challenge and doing my best to learn from it all.

If you are considering coming to see the show, I should warn you that "The Blue Room features adult situations and nudity and is recommended for mature audiences only." The show runs the month of April--Friday-Saturday nights at 8:00pm, and Sundays at 2:00pm (no show on Easter Sunday). Ticket information is available by following the link above.

1 comment:

Sam said...

So....why the need for a costumer? Sorry, I had to ask.