Thursday, April 30, 2009

Blog-dentity crisis...

You may have been wondering where I have been for the last week or so, what with the flurry of posts and the seeming return to writing, and then silence again. (Or maybe you haven't--probably you just come here for the funny videos. I dunno.) I started writing this post a week and a half ago, and then got stumped. So much started flowing out of the old fingertips, and I wrestled and wrestled with how to phrase it--hell, I wrestled with whether to post it or not. But here it finally is.

The old Internal Debate has returned: to blog or not to blog. As of tomorrow, Living Loud will be one year old. Initially, I viewed the blog as a coffee table--a place where I would share funny stuff, rants, and observations. It was meant to be a way to stay in touch, albeit one-way, with folks who are interested in sharing coffee with me but cannot practically, geographically do so. (He said, pushing his glasses up on his nose.) Now, however, I am part of the soul-sucking phenomenon known as Facebook, and seem to be staying in touch there quite well. So is this blog really good for that any more? Should I even keep this blogging business up?

I think the answer to this is 'yes'--but if it isn't good for staying in touch any more, what is it good for? I could use it as a place to share my writing, but that is scary for me from a copyright viewpoint. (It would, however, be a great impetus to challenge me to finish up some of the stuff that is laying around incomplete.) Some friends and family members have mentioned wanting to hear more about life in the theater, but that can get a little dicey and gossip-y, and I'm just not sure I want to go there. I could use it as a place to share funny discoveries and humorous anecdotes, but frankly there are millions of those pages out there already. Why would you come here to read that stuff?

Which leads me to the question: is Living Loud a destination? Should it be? Do I want it to be? And if so, what would you find if you came here? Am I trying to get more readers, or just vainly publishing my little two cents for a handful of people to see? I don't even know how many of you there are, let alone what you think--but I am sure curious to find out. If you are reading this, please take the time to comment and let me know whatcha think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOUR BLOG!! Because life is busy, and it helps me feel like I have some idea of how you are, what you're thinking about, etc. etc. etc... I would understand if you stopped writing it, but I really love it.

Denise said...

Your blog is good for staying in touch in a way that Facebook cannot provide. Facebook is more immediate, more casual and quick. Your blog helps us all journey a little further with you, a little deeper into your not-so-everyday. We get to sit with you longer on a given thought that stands on its own and transcends hourly status updates and the latest cute, sarcastic and insecure comment. (Hardy har har.)

Why would I come here to read that stuff? Because it is *your* stuff. As much as you may not believe it Mr. Yen, you are a dynamic individual coupled with excellent writing skills. You are one of those people I could listen to for hours about...anything. It is not necessarily *what* you present, but *how* you do it that makes your blog that much more interesting and unique.

And so yes, it is very much a destination that I've come to look forward to time and again ever since we've been connected online. What would I find if I came here? The same wonderful thoughts from the same creative wordsmith I've found all along.

Perhaps the question is what does your blog do for you? Does it bring you joy? Does it make you think? Does it help you see things in a different light, or see things through?

Last week I was handed a script in which the author's note states: "The same things that make a moment in my life succeed, combust, move, these same things make a moment in my playwriting have life. And when I move in my writing, I have moved in my life."

I can tell you that when I dropped MySpace, I lost all of my blogs I'd written for about two years on that site. All of them. I wish I could refer back to them, and share old thoughts with new friends. But I can't. I have to start over.

It isn't vanity, it isn't readership. You write because it is in you and must. It is the appreciation of that impulse and purpose of yours which brings me here. It is wondering how that purpose will strike again that brings me back.

Love,
Denise