Thursday, January 15, 2009

My silly dog...

I have a third child, and I realized that I haven't talked about her much (at all?) here. She is a wonderful little bundle of energy. I got her from the pound nearly one year ago. I had been looking for a dog for quite some time--I have always been a "dog person" and thought it would be good for me to have one while I was going through so much with the separation, etc. I browsed the local shelters, as I didn't have money for a purebred, and there are so many wonderful pups that need homes that I can't stand to imagine being destroyed.

I saw a dog on one of the shelter websites. She was listed as a chocolate lab, and since I knew those usually go fast, I went to the shelter the very next day. I raced home, picked the kids up from school, and went to the shelter only to find out she had already been adopted. We saw a couple other dogs, but none that would work with our lifestyle or our home. As we prepared to go, I asked the boys if they would like to say goodbye to the dogs we had seen. Lo and behold, "Bon Bon" was magically back in the pen!

When we went to the meeting area, I knelt down, and the dog walked right over to me, sat down, and looked into my eyes. She did the same for my eldest son. We found out that the woman who had adopted her had returned her while the boys and I were talking in the truck--she hadn't worked out with the dog the woman already owned. So we had a wonderful little addition to our family.

On the way home, we were trying out names in the cab of the truck. I mentioned 'Penny' (I thought it would be cute--her color is right, and my last name...well). My younger son said, 'What about Maggie?' The dog instantly perked up and licked his face. I said, 'Is your name Maggie?' and she leapt over him to lick my face. Maggie it was. On Saturday, Maggie will have been with me one year.

The shelter said she was chocolate lab. I thought she might be a chocolate lab/whippet mix. Some others (including her vet) have suggested Viesla (sp?). Whatever she is, she is wonderful, friendly (sometimes too friendly), and very fast. We love her dearly. I told you all that to show you this:

On our morning commute, the car is pretty cold but warms up as we drive. The combination of the heater/defroster and the sunlight streaming in the windows makes the car pretty cozy. Maggie started to fall asleep sitting up:

Going...

Her eyelids are getting too heavy for her head. Then she starts nodding off:

...going...

before she finally crashes:

...gone.

The dog is too cute.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, as long as she's not chewing up your moulding.